The Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by the SARS CoV2 virus (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 ) was first reported in China in late December, 2019. It has has since evolved into a global pandemic (present all over the world).
Quick Facts About Covid 19:
- It is highly contagious. It can spread very easily. Unlike previous SARS viruses, the SARS CoV2 settles in the nose and throat. This means it can spread when you talk or laugh or sing, particularly in confined spaces (super-spreader events).
- Asymptomatic spread. People may have the virus and potentially spread the disease even when they do not have symptoms of Covid 19.
- It is a new virus. However, in a short span of 6 months, scientists have already found out quite a lot about this virus. By January 12, 2020, the virus was sequenced in China. This means that the genetic signature of the virus is known. This is important from the perspective of testing and treatment. (1) Ref
- Vaccine: There is no vaccine against the SARS CoV2 available now, but many promising ones are in development.
- At present, there is no specific treatment available for Covid 19. However, the search is on!
- The Coronavirus is here to stay. It is not going anywhere. This means that measures of physical distancing will remain even after the lockdown. For how long? We do not know as yet.
- Wearing face masks help!
- Young people are not immune to Covid 19, particularly if they are overweight and/or have a chronic disease.